Joined: 23 Nov 2007
|Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:08 pm Post subject: The Sea Shanty Mission and Rules
|The Sea Shanty forums were created by members of a group of individuals that came together in 2007 on another Internet forum, with the common shared vision of starting up a new company to provide tall ship sailing adventures. That company, Island Windjammers , is currently in the startup process, and hopes to be sailing in 2009. The Sea Shanty forums have been created by the owner and the moderators who form the administration team. The intent is to create an enjoyable and entertaining venue for users to share ideas, experiences, and the thrill of sailing with Island Windjammers.
The views expressed by the ownership and moderation team of the Sea Shanty are their own, and entirely independent of any views or opinion of Island Windjammers. They do not reflect the views of Island Windjammers management and may at times conflict with the opinions of the company. The site is not funded, owned, or operated by Island Windjammers: it is operated by individuals at their own expense and on their own time. Those individuals may have a financial interest in the company but have no more or less influence on the direction and operation of Island Windjammers Inc., than any other investors in the venture.
Finally, it is to be understood that the owner and moderators are doing this on their own time, as a labor of love. Notwithstanding the fact that many participants in online forums have become accustomed to instant gratification: the moderators and owner can only participate here as time permits. Instant gratification in the form of instantaneous resolution of problems is explicitly not offered here, and issues that demand the owner or moderators' attention will be dealt with as quickly as time permits. This may be a matter of hours or a matter of days. Patience must necessarily be a key part of participation here.
By creating an account, logging on to the site to post, and/or using any services on The Sea Shanty website, you explicitly agree to be bound by this policy. Violations of this policy can result in termination of use privileges, by username or by IP if necessary. Abuse of the site may be reported to the participant's ISP at the owner’s sole discretion. The participant then risks losing their Internet service. Any attempts to "hack", break, or tamper with the site or server may result in criminal and/or civil charges.
All activity is logged and monitored. You are offered no guarantee of privacy on any Sea Shanty service.
- This policy is subject to change without warning at any time. Notice of policy changes will be posted as announcements in the “Sea Shanty Mission and Rules” forum.
- This policy may be extended by moderators and administrators on the forums as needed on a per-forum basis. Supplemental policies will be posted as announcements or sticky notes at the top of the forum to which the extended rules apply.
The Following are Expressly Prohibited
Violations of items in the following section subject the user to immediate termination of all privileges. The owner and moderators reserve the right to determine, at their sole discretion, whether a violation demands immediate termination of the offending user's privileges, or can be effectively dealt with via the issuance of one or more warnings. Such warnings may or may not be accompanied by temporary suspension of privileges, at the owner and moderators' sole discretion. Decisions made under this section by the owner and moderators are final and are not subject to appeal.
- Using Sea Shanty services for any unlawful purpose, such as to to violate copyright law, or any other law or international treaty of the United States.
- Using Sea Shanty services in a manner that would constitute violation or infringement of any person, firm or company's rights (including but not limited to confidentiality, and particularly with respect to those communications that are covered by an explicit Non-Disclosure Agreement).
- Attempts to hack, degrade, or disrupt the operation of this site. In addition to termination of privileges, the disruptor's ISP may be contacted, as may be legal authorities.
- Attempting to use the site to transmit data intended to hack, degrade, or disrupt the operation of another participant's computer.
- Registering multiple accounts for the purpose of misleading other participants as to the identity of the sender or the origin of a message. This includes but is not limited to impersonating other users.
- Posting of illegal adult content such as pornographic images or text.
- Posting deliberately disruptive messages such as unauthorized advertisement of products or services, commonly called SPAM. Chain letters, pyramid schemes, and such will be treated as spam and the posted dealt with accordingly.
- Personal threats, harassment, and slander. If threats, harassment, or slander are suspected in postings or PMs on the site, users are instructed to report such acts to the site owner via PM or the “report this post to a moderator” function. Determinations made by the owner and moderators as to whether reported actions actually comprise actionable items under this section will be final and are not subject to appeal.
- Content which is racist, sexist, hateful, excessively obscene, or intentionally inflammatory, demoralizing or in any way purposely harmful to the health of the discourse that is the base purpose of the community. If such content is suspected via postings or PMs on the site, users are instructed to report it to the site owner via PM or the “report this post to a moderator” function. Determinations made by the owner and moderators as to whether reported content actually comprises a violation of this rule will be final and are not subject to appeal.
- Bullying, as defined in http://www.bullyonline.org/related/cyber.htm . If bullying is suspected via postings or PMs on the site, users are instructed to report such acts to the site owner via PM or the “report this post to a moderator” function. Determinations made by the owner and moderators as to whether reported actions actually comprise bullying will be final and are not subject to appeal.
- Trolling, as defined in the following page from Wikipedia: http://tinyurl.com/36ct8u. If trolling is suspected via postings or PMs on the site, users are instructed to report such acts to the site owner via PM or the “report this post to a moderator” function Determinations made by the owner and moderators as to whether reported actions actually comprise trolling will be final and are not subject to appeal.
- Harassing the moderators or owner. This includes but is not limited to participants who insist upon filing baseless complaints against other users, who claim harassment or bullying in a manner that is not supported by the evidence, and who continue to attempt to prosecute complaints deemed baseless (possibly by lobbying other members or members at any other site) after such decisions have been rendered. Disputes will occur, and the decisions of the owner and moderators will be final and are not subject to appeal. Once again, it is to be explicitly understood that participation in this forum and community is a privilege granted by the owner of the site.
Forum Use Guidelines and Restrictions
- It is explicitly assumed that all participants are adults, and are therefore capable of consistently exhibiting adult behavior. Courtesy is rule one here. We expect spirited debates, as long as the people involved extend one another basic respect. Disagreements are inevitable, but please focus on being a polite member of the community while debating. Attack the idea; not the person presenting it. If you feel that someone has crossed the line and offended you, please contact them first via PM to suggest that they reconsider their position. Please do not immediately retaliate with posts to try and humiliate the offender publicly. It will not work, it will not resolve the problem, and it will in all likelihood create a downward spiral.
- Mutual respect is the key to the very existence and smooth function of any online community. Communication in a forum such as this differs radically from the face-to-face interaction we all know from our early socialization. Only the words you choose to use will be conveyed by this medium. There is no mechanism for transmitting your intention, such as body language or vocal inflection. Emoticons cannot substitute for those human behavioral clues. We will only know you by your words, so choose them very carefully.
- Words are forever. The words you type in the heat of battle will be there for all to see long after the battle is over. Please resist the temptation to post something inflammatory and then go back and edit it later to reduce its negative impact. Post what you want to be read the first time, and take the time to make sure that you said what you mean, and mean what you say. Once you post something, your words, and only your words, represent and define you. Once again, please choose them carefully.
- Accept responsibility for your postings, your actions, and their consequences. Right, wrong, or indifferent, your words are your words, and your words only. For a final time, please choose them carefully.
- Do not attack other users. Interact, argue and disagree. Resorting to abusive name calling, personal insults, and other such juvenile behavior will not be tolerated. Note: discussions that have strayed sufficiently off-topic and/or have turned into pointless downward spirals, e.g. "flame wars", may be locked by the owner or moderators, whose decision will be final and not subject to appeal.
- Personal disagreements between individual participants are best handled in an adult manner through the exchange of Private Messages (PM’s). In other words they should be handled in private, between adults. Airing of dirty laundry in public reflects poorly on the person doing the airing.
- Personal disagreements between a participant and the site owners or moderators are also best handled privately, through the exchange of PM’s. Airing of dirty laundry regarding the site, its policies, or its participants in public reflects poorly on the person doing the airing. In particular, airing one's dirty laundry regarding this site on another site with the intent to cause disruption either here or there represents a form of both bullying and trolling, as described in the prohibited behavior above. This escalates the underlying problem, and does not work towards its resolution.
- Don't post the same question across several different forums, i.e. 'cross posting'.
- Be courteous and welcoming to new members.
- Posting replies to old threads or outdated polls in an intentionally disruptive manner is not permitted.
- Posting a large number of nonsensical threads or comments (i.e. flooding) is disruptive and not permitted.
- Report posts that appear to violate this policy to the owner or moderators, but do not harass the poster of the offending message.
- The use of expletives in thread titles is not allowed.
- Avatars and signatures with inappropriate images or text, i.e. explicit nudity, depictions of violence, symbols of hate or other are not permitted.
- Do not attempt to continue threads that have been locked. If a thread is locked, do not post a new thread about the thread being locked.
- Use the "report this post to a moderator" link that appears in all posts to report potential violations to a moderator. Your complaint will be seen and acted on, although you may not be responded to publicly or privately. Responses take time; please exercise patience.
Violations of this policy
It is quite impossible to state explicitly what content would or would not be considered acceptable. The member is responsible for weighing any content that he or she may wish to submit against the rules stated in this policy. If the member is unclear as to whether the content would be in violation of this policy, he or she should first contact a moderator or administrator.
The owner and moderators reserve the right to determine what constitutes a violation of any portion of this policy. Potential violations will be investigated on a case-by-case basis. During an investigation and when determining a subsequent course of action, we may take into consideration the history of the member in question, whether he or she was provoked, and feedback from other members. There may be cases in which an action is taken against a member that is dissimilar to an action taken against another member for what might appear to be a similar violation. While we will make every effort to be fair, the user is not entitled to any explicit baseline of fair treatment, and is granted no special rights on the Sea Shanty above and beyond that required by US law.
The owner and moderators are under no obligation to make public the process through which a potential violation is investigated, nor the reasons behind any subsequent action.
If a participant whose privileges have been terminated feels that they have been unnecessarily banned, or simply would like another shot at being part of the community, then they may send an email stating their case to firstname.lastname@example.org. However, be aware that terminated users are not guaranteed any response: indeed, the appropriate response to Internet bullies and trolls is generally to ignore them. The owner and moderators of this site are under no obligation to extend these privileges to any individual. Thus, it would behoove participants to weigh their actions against the standards of adult behavior, and not squander their privileges lightly.
Any text message, image, or other media/data posted to The Sea Shanty is copyright of the submitter. The submitter grants The Sea Shanty non-exclusive rights to the material for use on the Sea Shanty website and other media or services sponsored by the Sea Shanty, in any capacity, for an indefinite period of time. The Sea Shanty is under no obligation to remove material from the website at the request of the submitter. The Sea Shanty reserves the right to remove any material from the website for any reason, and to edit material that is deemed obscene or inappropriate, without consent from the submitter.
Minimum Age Requirement
You must be at least 18 years of age to use any service provided by The Sea Shanty, including but not limited to the discussion forums.
If you are not at least 18 years old, then you must leave. Sorry, but we must insist.
Limits on the Responsibilities of the site owner and representatives
The owner and moderators cannot guarantee the accuracy, security or quality of any content posted on or transmitted through the site.
Under no circumstances will the owner or moderators be liable for any loss, harm, error or omission that may result from the use of the Sea Shanty or the services we provide, or for any service failure or interruption, regardless of the cause, or for any termination for cause of the privileges conveyed by membership of the site.